Time to decorate for the holidays? We are going to show you how to turn a $17 wreath into a $170 work of art!
As the years pass, I seem to get more and more excited about decorating for the holidays. Now that the kids are older I have much more time to dedicate to my seasonal decor. Each year, I purchase wreaths and other miscellaneous items from Scouts of America in an effort to both support the organization and make my holiday decorating that much easier.
A few years ago, when I was really busy with work, I did not have time to decorate for the holidays, so I hired a talented floral designer. She embellished the wreaths I purchased, as well as my window boxes and porch flower pots. She did an amazing job! However, since I have been off on medical leave for awhile I had the time to do it myself and save a little money decorating myself for the holidays.
I have both written a tutorial (below) and shot a video for you showing the method that I use to create fabulous looking wreaths for very little cost. Next up, the flower boxes and pots but I have to wait until it is not snowing!!! How are you going to decorate your house for the holidays?
Tools and materials needed:
- 30″ real wreath (with or without pine cones, or any size you would prefer)
- Boxwood branches
- Curly willow branches
- Eucalyptus branches
- Pine tree branches
- Arborvitae branches
- Holiday ornamental balls
- Floral wire
- Nippers for cutting the branches and floral wire
- Wire rimmed ribbon
How to Make Your Own
3. Lift up sections of the existing wreath and insert your branches one at a time, in a circular motion. Repeat until the wreath looks full.
4. Place all decorative holiday balls on, making sure you are attaching to the base wreath to ensure each is secure.
5. Place the bow on the bottom and secure in place with floral wire. Here is a great tutorial for several DIY bows from our friends at Kippi At Home, she also has a video.
6. Watch the video for more details.
We would LOVE to see your creations, please make sure to share with us! We would love to see how you are decorating your home for the holidays. And if you have some extra time, be sure to make some coordinating porch pots (tutorial is in our next blog post),
Disclosure: This article contains some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
2 thoughts on “Decorating for the Holidays- Wreaths”
Your wreath is gorgeous… I just love the colors!
Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! Happy holidays <3
Comments are closed.